DUP Problem with RT-11

From: Jerome H. Fine <jhfinepw4z_at_compsys.to>
Date: Wed Mar 12 14:11:00 2003

I have been attempting for some to to write ALL 65536 blocks
from one RT-11 partition to a second RT-11 partition. Does
anyone know of what is wrong with what I am doing? I am
using V5.03 of RT-11 under the Supnik emulator and I do the
command:

COPY/DEVICE/NOQU DU0:/START:0./END:65535. DU1:/START:0.

However, ONLY 65535 blocks are transferred. On the other hand,
If I do the command:

COPY/DEVICE/NOQU DU0:/START:65524./END:65535. DU1:/START:0.

then TWO blocks are transferred (I put 2 non-zero blocks into DU1:
first),
so I know that that it is possible to read block 65535 from DU0:, but
there
seems no reason why block 65535 is not written to DU1: via the very
first command - especially when there is not even a warning message.

Please do not reply that an RT-11 partition is ONLY 65535 blocks and
that the last legal block is 65534. I have already proven that I can
read
block 65535 from DU0: when I use DUP.SAV, thus so as long as block 65535

can be read, there is absolutely NO reason that DUP.SAV should not allow

me to write the same block into DU1:, but DUP.SAV does not seem to be
able
to do that and moreover does not even provide a warning message that
DUP.SAV will ignore block 65535 when I explicitly direct that block
65535
be written to DU1: In addition, just in case anyone feels that DUP.SAV

really ought not to provide at least a warning message, then try the
command:

COPY/DEVICE/NOQU DU0:/START:1./END:65535. DU1:/START:1.

which does provide the warning message that I suggest is essential so
long
as DUP.SAV prohibits the user from writing block 65535 onto DU1: after
block 65535 has been read from DU0:, even though, in my opinion there
is NOTHING wrong with the command and DUP.SAV should do what the
user has specified.

Can anyone help? Any suggestions other than going into the DUP.SAV
program and fixing this bug?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
To obtain the original e-mail address, please remove
the ten characters which immediately follow the 'at'.