ICL OPD/Merlin Tonto

From: Witchy <witchy_at_binarydinosaurs.co.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 13 14:47:06 2003

Ade, can you CC me in on replies to this? Ta :)

That's where I'm falling down - I haven't got any documentation!

> in the world) in 1986. I think (not tried this) that it can respond with
> a different message on each line, and it can change messages depending
> on the time of day - but not day of week...

See my follow-up on the technical breakdown on the answering gubbins :)

> It definitely can't say "good morning", as "good" isn't in the
> vocabulary :)

*now* you've made me want to get a machine out just to check, but I'm sure
it is....a task for tomorrow.....

> > actually recorded their OPDs saying rude things, so I just
> > *had* to have a
> > go myself....hehe.....
>
> Erm, "not so long ago"? Sort of like 1987, maybe?

Nope, last year. At least two of the contestants did their entries on real
OPDs.....

> What's this about a hi-res monitor? I assume you mean a larger one than
> the 9" B&W which seems to be the norm for these machines? Is it colour?

There was 2 (if not 3) monitor choices - hi-res colour Microvitec as used on
the OPD, low-res colour and mono 9" as used on the Tonto. The low-res colour
I've not seen examples of, but I've got the other 2.

> I'd like to get a pin-out of the monitor/power connector - I'm not sure
> if it's in any of the manuals I've got.

Not sure I can help there.

> I can scan mine in if you like. I don't believe I'm doing anything on
> Sunday yet...

If you can do that there's some beerz in it for you :)

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum