Troubleshooting lockup problems

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat Mar 15 16:44:00 2003

> Hello All,
>
> I'm looking for pointers on how to troubleshoot an apparent hardware problem
> with an Atari 400.
>
> The machine runs fine for about 5-10 minutes and then will lock up solid.
> Turn it off, leave it off for a bit, and get another 5-10 minutes so I'm
> assuming that there is some sort of heat/temperature issue that is causing

YEs, it does sound like a thermal problem...

The normal way to troubleshoot this is firstly to check all the obvious
conditions when it locks up (power supply voltage(s) being top of the
list), and then to use freezer spray to cool chips one at a time to see
if you can find one that iwll let it restart, or to use a hot air gun to
heat chips (carefully) to see if you can find the one that locks it up.

-tony