Trouble with ASR33

From: Vintage Computer Festival <vcf_at_siconic.com>
Date: Sat Mar 15 17:55:01 2003

I'm currently fighting with an ASR33 trying to make it perform a carriage
return. Currently, the carriage is stuck all the way on the right side
and refuses to budge. I tried to find something inside that would release
it but I haven't located the magic tab.

I've noticed something else. When I have the punch turned on, the '8' bit
doesn't punch. For instance, if I hit "RETURN" I get the 1 + 4 + 128 bits
punched, but no 8 (1 + 4 + 8 = 13).

I don't see anything obvious, like a level that's come loose for example.
I also lost the tab that holds the little plastic cover down over the
reader mechanism. In trying to take the main cover off so I could look
inside, I didn't notice the two screws on the front until after much
wrangling, and just after the tab broke off and either fell or flew into
oblivion.

Whoever designed the ASR33 must have sold their soul to the devil to make
it all work. It's amazing how intricate and delicate everything is, and
how damn kludgy as well.

I'm impressed, but not.

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *