ASR33 fights

From: Charles <charlesmorris_at_direcway.com>
Date: Mon Mar 17 09:03:14 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 00:21:18 -0600, you wrote:

>I'm currently fighting with an ASR33 trying to make it perform a carriage
>return. Currently, the carriage is stuck all the way on the right side
>and refuses to budge. I tried to find something inside that would release
>it but I haven't located the magic tab.

Go to www.pdp8.net (or the Highgate mirror site) and download the
following:

> Teletype
> 328 ASR 33 Teletype Print Set (Wiring Diagram/Schematics) 19 pg 1971
> 240 ASR 33 Teletype Print Set (Wiring Diagram/Schematics) 36 pg
> 121 Bulletin 11848 33 Page Printer Set (ASR, KSR and RO) Parts February 1971
> 114 Bulletin 310B Technical Manual 33 Teletypewriter Sets RO, KSR, ASR Volume 1 October 1971
> 118 Bulletin 310B Technical Manual 33 Teletypewriter Sets RO, KSR, ASR Volume 2 March 1971
> 327 LT33 ASR 33 Teletypewriter mods for PDP-8 1970

It's about 20Mb total. It will be invaluable when trying to figure
out the strange and mysterious innards of an ASR33! Everything is
clearly illustrated and explained.

I recently converted my KSR33 (sitting in the barn for six years)
into an ASR33 and have been wrestling it into submission
gradually. The only things left to fix are binding of the paper in
the line feed mechanism (which predated the conversion), and an
occasional bit 5 sticking "set" (i.e. as though the SHIFT key were
pressed).

For now, look down below the carriage and find a little lever
running parallel to the keyboard just to the left of center, which
can be carefully tripped with a long screwdriver. Careful - that
carriage has a strong spring and will come back fast!

I have a spare reader cover if you're interested.
-Charles