Soldering Irons (was RE: SWTPC TV Typewriter II restoration)

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 18 16:40:00 2003

> There is only one TRUE soldering iron. If you're serious about soldering
> and surface mount, you want a Metcal. Don't get the SP-200 series, they're

That's why I said I should probably upgrade sometime...

> product environments. Don't tell me how much you love your Weller or Hakko
> until you use a Metcal. Once you've had, you'd just as soon use a wood

I will say one thing. For classic computer repairs (0.1" pin-through
hole, 0.05" SMD), a Weller TCP is perfectly useable. Not the best, but
useable. I can't remember the last time I lifted a pad or ripped out a
through-hole-plating 'tube'.

The hobbyist-grade irons are not useable. They will do a lot of damage to
PCBs!

-tony