Soldering Irons (was RE: SWTPC TV Typewriter II restoration)

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Tue Mar 18 17:50:00 2003

Rumor has it that Ethan Dicks may have mentioned these words:

[snip]

>I used Metcals at Lucent. Verrrry Nice. I would love to find one with
>a box of SMT tips for less than a housepayment.

Can they be had with a full set of SMT tips *for* a house payment? If so,
I'd consider it...Some of those tips are $60+ USD each... doesn't take many
where just the tips would be a house payment for me, and the cheapest unit
I found that looked half-way decent (with 1 tip) was around $400USD. I
can't afford four digits... :-(

At dalbani.com (out of Miami, FL, USA) they have *low-cost* stuff... some
of it is complete and utter crap, but sometimes it's a decent deal for
hobbyist stuff. For the store (we don't do a lot of soldering nowadays) we
got a digital temperature-controlled soldering iron with 6 tips for under
$90. It actually works pretty well, for the occasional solder-job... If I
soldered on a daily basis, I'd get *quality* but for the once-a-month deal...

I don't remember if they had SMT stuff, tho.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch_at_30below.com