dbit E11 and rtv53_rl.dsk

From: Jerome H. Fine <jhfinepw4z_at_compsys.to>
Date: Wed Mar 19 18:23:01 2003

>Ron Hudson wrote:

> I have a machine dedicated to DOS, and I have found that dbit's pdp11
> emulator
> works under DOS (I wish sim worked under DOS)

Jerome Fine replies:

Since both SIMH and Ersatz-11 work under W95/W98, I can't
see why SIMH will not work under DOS will not handle SIMH
as well as E11.

Please try again.

> Is there any way to get RSTS or any other pdp11 os running in this
> environment?

As far as I know, both SIMH and E11 run any PDP-11 operating
system.

For myself, I have used ONLY RT-11, but both SIMH and E11
run very well.

> Anyone know what rtv53_rl.dsk is? I think it's a RL disk image of
> version 5.3 of
> uh I used to remember. Is RT a pdp11 OS?

Normally, a DSK type file is fully expanded. If you have a file which
is 10 MBytes (20450 blocks of 512 bytes each), then it is almost
certain you have a copy of an RL02 distribution for V5.03 of RT-11.
Under E11, the commands:
MOUNT DL0: rtv53_rl.dsk/RL02/RONLY
BOOT DL0:
should get you started.

The compressed file which contains the V5.03 of RT-11 distribution
for an RL02 media is 1,373,083 bytes. you need to UnZip this file
which I have heard produces 3 files.

RT-11 was probably the first major operating system for the PDP-11
and was first released in the early 1970s. V5.06 was released by DEC
in August 1992 and was partially made Y2K. V5.07 was released by
Mentec in November 1998.

> if so anyone know how to get this running?
> Thanks!

Let us know how you made out. Any other questions?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
If you attempted to send a reply and the original e-mail
address has been discontinued due a high volume of junk