4M expanded memory cards

From: Innfogra_at_aol.com <(Innfogra_at_aol.com)>
Date: Thu Mar 20 15:10:01 2003

In a message dated 3/20/03 12:25:37 PM Pacific Standard Time, cb_at_mythtech.net
writes:

> I'm pretty sure the ones I have don't have SIMM slots. I think they are
> just a whole mess of DIP chips sitting in sockets right on the board. I
> think some of them are even multiple layers deep (a daughter card
> attached to the main card to add more chips).
>
> I thought they were labeled "INTEL AboveBoard",

They all are Intel AboveBoards.

Intel made aboveboards that took 256K DIPs, 1 Meg DIPs and 30 pin SIMMs. They
made 8 bit versions beside 16 bit versions. With the DIP Daughter board IIRC
you could get 16 Meg of RAM on the card. Some of the 16 bit versions could be
used in 8 bit slots. It was a very versatile line of cards for many years.

An interesting side story. They came out with a 5 year warranty. Intel in
Hillsboro, OR used to have employee sales where Intel employees could buy
surplus and scrap at bargain basement prices. Several people bought some non
working aboveboards that were failures from the production line. They then
got turned in for warranty repair because they were less than 5 years old.
Once Intel figured out what was going on that was the end of the employee
garage sales. From that point on they shredded the production failures in
Hillsboro.

Paxton
Astoria, OR