Scientific Micro Systems boards?

From: Joe <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Fri Mar 21 20:02:15 2003

At 12:33 PM 3/21/03 -0800, you wrote:
>--- Joe <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I keep finding a lot of boards made by SMS and I'm wondering if
>> they're worth picking up. A lot of them seem to be out of DEC systems
>> and/or 8" floppy drive controllers that are used with DEC stuff.
>
>How expensive? $5? $50?

   Usually a couple of bucks. It depends on where I buy them. I find them at a number of different places. I probably find one per week on the average.

>> I usually leave them behind but I picked up one yesterday for parts. this
>> one is a Q-bus card and has an AM2901ADC bit slice CPU, an Intel 8085, an
>> intel 8155 and an Intel 8253. It says that it's model # FWD 0106, Assy #
>> 000420-0001, Fab # 0004222 Rev C.
>
>I'm not so familiar with SMS products... what connectors are on the
>edge of the board?

   This particular one looks like it fits a Q-bus slot and even has the to metal extractor handles like those used on some of the DEC stuff but I've seen them in all kinds of shapes and sizes including one that looked like the smaller DEC cards that have two edge connectors (can't think of the name right now.) I can't even lay my hands on this one at the moment so I'll have to wait till I find it to tell you what other connectors it has.

   Joe