DEC 7000 (AXP) startup

From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini_at_iee.org>
Date: Sun Mar 23 07:55:00 2003

> I tried the KZMSA board out in the VAX6000 just to see if
> this really doesn't work. Indeed the card was not detected
> right (shows up with ?????? in the SHOW CONFIGURATION). Is
> there really nothing one could do to get that to work on
> VAX6000? Would it work in a VAX7000?

IIRC the KZMSA is an XMI SCSI controller. The firmware for
this card is such that it won't work in a VAX (I don't know
the details but I expect that it has carnal knowledge of the
Alpha page table structure or some such).

IIRC some XMI cards come with two flavours of firmware and
can work in either VAX or Alpha - unfortunately this is
not one of them.

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini             arcarlini_at_iee.org