Apple IIe card

From: R. D. Davis <rdd_at_rddavis.org>
Date: Sun Mar 23 13:16:00 2003

Quothe Tarsi, from writings of Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 10:20:02PM -0600:
> Nope, but I have 7.5.3 readily available, which I use for my 7200/90 and it
> works great. (currently trying to get Gentoo to dual-boot, too!)

That's what I had installed, until I attempted an upgrade to 7.6.1.
My Centris has 7.6.1 on it, along with the FreePPP software that I was
using with it. Hopefully what I did wrong will be a lesson for others
to help prevent others from making their systems unbootable.

What I did was create an Appleshare connection between the Centris and
the PowerPC then: (1) rename the old system folder
(2) copy the 7.6.1 folder with FreePPP to the PowerPC, (3) "bless" the
new system folder by removing finder from the old system folder.

When I booted, everything appeared to be ok, temporarily, until the
little window with a bomb symbol in it in appeared when trying to get
appleshare working. Upon activating more of the extensions, that
problem was solved, but, after enabling more of the extensions, there
was what appeared to be a memory problem which I didn't have before.
The system kept hanging as the extensions loaded after booting; this,
I understood, was indicative of a problem with the desktop, which I
attempted rebuilding (after first booting with no extensions and turning
all of the extensions off).

Since I didn't have the software necessary to unhide and delete the
finder preferences file, I ignored that step.

Everything appeared to be working ok, until I shut the machine down
and turned it back on at a later time. The problem of the machine
hanging appeared again as the extensions were loading. After playing
around with the extensions, turning some more of them off again, now
the machine refuses to boot at all, just the little mac with a "?"
appears on the screen.

> IIe card. Nice. They're a lot of fun.

It was a pleasantly surprising find. :-)

--
Copyright (C) 2002 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &