DEC AUI Cable

From: Andreas Freiherr <Andreas.Freiherr_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Mon Mar 24 02:48:00 2003

Tony Duell wrote:
>>AUI cable? - Oh yes, I do remember: when I was at the University of
>>Darmstadt, getting those four pairs and all the shields into the shell
>>of a 15-pin connector was the hardest test somebody had to stand before
>

> I got the type of shell that's made in 2 halves, so I didn't have to feed
> the cable through a small hole...

That's what we used, too. However, it is still kind of an advanced
exercise to cut the wires to a suitable length before stripping and
soldering, so that after these steps they will fit into the small shell
together with the strain relief clamp, in particular if you want the
metalized shell to be properly grounded from the inside...

If you had managed that for the first time, you would usually discover
that you forgot to slip that rubber tube onto the cable to prevent it
from breaking where it leaves the plug. If it happens when you managed
the second time, then it's worse, because you cannot drop it in from the
other end of the cable... - But this is nothing special with transceiver
cable, it happens with all sort of cabling, all the time. It only seems
to vary in proportion to the number of pins inside the connector... ;-)

--
Andreas Freiherr
Vishay Semiconductor GmbH, Heilbronn, Germany