Take Two or Nothing (was: VAX 11/750 available in TX (?))

From: R. D. Davis <rdd_at_rddavis.org>
Date: Mon Mar 24 20:45:01 2003

Quothe Gunther Schadow, from writings of Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 09:00:47PM -0500:
> minimum QTY is 2. Hmm, very strange :-)

Funny thing, that reminds me of how I acquired two PERQ-T2 chasis,
over a decade ago. While at a hamfest and looking for a UNIX box, I
saw a maching that had already been sold, but the seller told me about
a local warehouse where I could obtain another one. The machine
turned out to be a PERQ graphics workstation, and was not runnign
UNIX... although I did eventually get a copy of PNX to run on it.

Anyway, when I got to the warehouse, the seller told me that I
couldn't buy the one complete machine unless I also hauled away the
chassis of another PERQ-T2. Note: these are not small. Smaller than
a VAX 11/750, but much larger, and heavier (about 150 lbs, IIRC) than
a PeeCee. To make things more interesting, the machines had to be
taken out of the building from a shipping platform, which was many
feet higher than the tailgate of the station wagon... so, they had to
be lowered by hand from the taller than usual shipping platform.

The PERQ's (Keytronix, IIRC) keyboard decided to dive off the top of
the PERQ on the loading platform into the asphalt below. The only
damage was a barely noticeable flattened area on one corner of the
keyboard! It wasn't long before I was on my way home with two T2
chasis, a 19" monitor and a keyboard. It's a good thing that real
station wagons (which are, alas, no longer made) have lots of cargo
space. The only problem was that, with the tailgate window blocked by
the PERQs, I could only see PERQs in the rearview mirror, which made
the 20+ mile drive home, on the highway, fun. :-)

--
Copyright (C) 2002 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals:
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature &