Industrial VAX 630 booting saga

From: David Woyciesjes <dwoyciesjes_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Mar 25 13:27:00 2003

        Well, I hooked my Digital BCC17-06 cable (3 BNC, LK401 jack) to the
QVSS patch panel, then to my Digital VRT19-DA (Sony GDM-1960) & Digital
VRT17-HA monitors. The VRT17 clicked like it was trying to do something,
and the VRT19 had lines like the H or V scan rates weren't right. The
keyboard beeped, and the caps light worked, so that's something. During
this, I had the VT420 connected to the CPU console jack, and by fiddling
was able to get some stuff.

        So...

        I figured I'd pull the video card (QVSS, VCB01), to force it to use the
console port. I also moved the DEQNA ethernet and the M9047 (bus
terminator?) cards over to fill the now empty slot. I sort of recall
hearing that it needs to be that way for these beasts?

        Now...

        I can see it performing the normal system test on the terminal (set now
to 9600/8/N/1). I'm getting somewhere, finally. :)
        Back up to the garage to see how far it got... Okay, with the CPU
switches set to normal boot, and halt enabled, It completed all systems
tests, and waited at the dead sargent for me. (Time to find a list of
console commands. Maybe my VAXStation 3100 book may help)
        I've now changed it to halt disabled, to see how far it goes this
time...

--
---Dave Woyciesjes
---ICQ# 905818