Recovering data from disks...

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Wed Mar 26 15:03:00 2003

On 26 Mar 2003, Jim Donoghue wrote:
> I have several 5 1/4" *hard-sectored* floppy disks. These are in some
> proprietary format, they are read by a controller that consists of a Z80
> CPU, an EPROM, and some TTL chips. All this thing does is read the
> entire contents of the disk, outputting the data in parallel format over
> a ribbon cable. This is used to load CPU microcode into static RAMS.
> I want to be able to read the data from the disks, as I no longer have
> the controller/drive (or the mainframe it came from.)
> Any ideas?

Is there a brand name? (Somebody else might HAVE one)

Otherwise,the drive is almost certainly not a problem, and you can
probably use an "industry standard" drive, such as a TM100-2.

But you will need a controller that can handle hard sectored diskettes.

Depending on the specs of the format (which you haven't tod us), it MIGHT
be readable with Northstar hardware, or it MIGHT be readable with Vector
Graphic hardware, etc.

OR, you could build an appropriate controller for a PC.

--
Fred Cisin                      cisin_at_xenosoft.com
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com