AXP 7000 startup, now doing OSF/1

From: Zane H. Healy <healyzh_at_aracnet.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 17:14:00 2003

> I have installed OSF/1 on the AXP 7000 and it's working. Quite a bit
> more snappy than the VAX6460. Man, I have no room for this machine
> left and now I love it so much!

I don't doubt it's a nice machine, much larger than I'm brave enough to
tackle though. The biggest such machine I'd like would be a VAX4000 class
system. Eventually I'd like to get something like an DS20 or ES40 for
running VMSon.

> I'd give you login account (over my dialup IP) just the problem I
> am having is that after I built the custom kernel it still won't
> let any user other than root login. It says "too many users logged
> in alread, try again later". And that with zero users logged in
> at the time. Can you think of any file I might be overlooking?
> I can only think of /etc/nologin or something. My maxusers is at 32
> in the kernel configuration. I can't think why this would not be
> correct in the kernel.

Do you have License PAK's installed that allow multiple users? For that
matter, do you have any License PAK's installed? If you don't have
licenses, a lot of stuff won't work.

                        Zane