H89 as serial terminal

From: Patrick Rigney <patrick_at_evocative.com>
Date: Fri Mar 28 23:38:00 2003

> > lets you choose, all of my '89's are down right now. :-/
>
> What's wrong with them? These machines are not exactly complicated or
> hard to fix (at least not compared with some machines I've worked on).
>
> -tony

Tony,

One, new to me, is popping caps and just needs a little TLC, I think; I
haven't yet left it on long enough to figure out how much of it is working.
It sounds like a popcorn popper, doesn't smell as nice. It goes throught he
motions at power up, but can't read a diskette. One was delivered to me
stripped of its serial card and floppy controller, and I've just this week
received replacement parts for it (both marked suspect but I'm undaunted).
That batch also included a H/Z-37 soft-sectored disk controller, and an
H/Z-67 hard disk controller (apparently SASI) that I'm eager to play with.
My "reference" machine is currently in storage after a rather aggressive
remodel of part of my house (which includes the creation of a new work area
for all of these machines plus some). You're correct, they're not hard to
work on; having little time and fat fingers not well-suited to tight spaces
have been my biggest barriers. I've got another project going right now,
and until that's launched, I won't have time, so this state of affairs is
likely to persist for the '89's and other recent acquisitions for the
foreseeable future.

> This is obviously some new definition of 'much easier' :-)...

Yeah, OK. :-) Dwight already took me to the woodshed for that. Poor choice
of words on my part.

Patrick