OT: need to drive a vector CRT...

From: jim <jwstephens_at_msm.umr.edu>
Date: Mon Sep 15 15:01:00 2003

there is a arcade game emulator called "mame" that has emulation of
vector graphic but uses ordinary raster scanned (runs on normal vga).

You'd have a lot better maintainability and quality if you took a regular
vga monitor and wrote code to take in your vector plot data and made
a custom driver for a "game" that mame could run which would paint
your vector stuff on the screen.

You would use a 5": vga color painting green lines, and would restrict
the thing with a mask in the software to keep it in the confines of the
console punchout's geometry. I would think that even the air force
might options such a product to replace their units...


Gene Buckle wrote:

> I know this is off topic for the list, but you folks are my best choice
> for the kind of knowledge I'm after. :)
> The task at hand is driving a 4" diameter vector CRT. _Any_ 4" vector CRT
> would work, but it has to be round. I have to be able to drive this from
> a PC. I'm building an F-15C flight simulator out of real parts - one of
> which is the mortal remains of an ALR/56C electronic countermeasures
> display. The original electronics are basically junk due to excessive
> shock from ground impact. This leaves me with a nice shell that a 4"
> round CRT is needed for. It's my understanding that it's possible to
> drive a CRT like this "oscilloscope style". Where can I find out
> information on how to do this? Is there any kind of black box that I can
> buy or build that will allow me to feed an NTSC or VGA signal in one end
> and get a correct vector signal out the other?
> For those interested, you can see my project at http://www.f15sim.com.
> Thanks all!
> g.
Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 15:01:00 BST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:36:26 BST