DEC RW 500

From: Stan Pietkiewicz <pietstan_at_rogers.com>
Date: Mon Mar 1 20:53:27 2004

I've got a DEC RW500 optical disk libray that I'm confused about.... The
machine powers up, passes self tests, loads and unloads media, but I
can't get the scsi controller in my peecee to recognize any media in it.
I've tried the original drive that came in the box, as well as an HP
versioned drive, as well as DEC labelled media, HP labelled media, and
some other brands.
It seems like the drive starts to spin the media, but it stops after a
few seconds....
Is there a trick to this, or do I have a couple of dead drives?