weird find: papertape "patch" puncher

From: Tony Duell <ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu Mar 4 18:47:00 2004

> Hi all,
>
> Recently I found this really cute, but weird-looking thingie. It
> seems to be a handheld tool that allowed operators, field engineers

Such things are actually (were actually?) quite common. A little jig to
hold the tape and 2 different diameter punch pins (one for data holes,
one for sprocket holes) to make corrections.

Some of them could also be used to hold 2 pieces of tape which had to be
spliced together. There were special adhesive tape 'patches' that were
used for this -- punched with a complete set of data and sprocket holes.
You used tohse in the obvious way to join the tape.

Incidentally, if you have to splice paper tape and don't have the right
jig, it's worth remembering that the holes are on a 0.1" by 0.1" matrix
and that a piece of stripboard with some pins soldered into it will often
work :-)

-tony