AUI cables in UK?

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Fri Mar 5 17:16:51 2004

 Pete> On Mar 5, 9:37, Paul Koning wrote:
>> There was some prototype 10Base5 cable that was yellow PE, though.
 Pete> It
>> had black stripes to mark transceiver spacing. So it got the
 Pete> nickname
>> "yellowjacket".

 Pete> According to the standard, the markings are supposed to be on
 Pete> all 10base5 cable; they're to indicate where it's safe to put a
 Pete> transceiver, and where to cut the cable at the ends. They're
 Pete> every 2.5 metres, and there should be at least two between
 Pete> transceivers. However, I've seen cable that didn't have the
 Pete> bands, but it was probably ordinary coax rather than intended
 Pete> specifically for ethernet.

The "yellowjacket" prototype cable I was talking about was (at DEC)
replaced by teflon jacketed cable that was a dull orange color. Both
had stripes (the teflon cable stripes weren't as easy to see, teflon
is hard to mark). It sounds like other manufacturers may have stuck
with the yellow color (and perhaps using polyethylene rather than
teflon for the outer jacket).

The rules aren't quite what you said -- the transceiver rule is that
you put them on the stripes. You can put transceivers on adjacent
stripes. Cable ends are NOT at stripes; the recommended cable
lengths are funny numbers chosen to get reflections not accumulate
over multiple segments. The rule says "odd multiples of a half wave
at 5 MHz, which translates to odd multiples of 23.4 meters.

   paul