R80/RA81 diagnostic experience?

From: Brad Parker <brad_at_heeltoe.com>
Date: Mon Mar 8 08:50:26 2004

[resend - looks like original got lost this weekend]

Hi,

If anyone has diagnostic experience with an R80 or RA81, I'd like to
pick your brain a little...

If this is better done off line, email is fine. I suspect not everyone
is interested on how to revive an R80 :-)

(why *I* find it infinitely fascinating is something I'll never understand)

I have an R80 which does not spin up or come ready:

- All of the voltages are good (all the ones I checked anyway).
- The drive belt had come off but I managed to get it back on
- I can't seem to get it into diagnostic mode; the 8 leds' on the
bottom pcb show 0101 0101 (hex 55).
- When it powers up all of the external lights go on and stay on.
- if I reset (click the switch ont the pcb to "R", the lights go
out
- if I then push the run/start it lights and after about 5 seconds
the fault light comes on and run/start goes out.
- if I push the fault light all lights go on and then the right most
one stays on
- push fault again and they all go out (I can then repeat the run/start
sequence)

I'm guessing the above behavior means the micro is operating, but then I
set the rotaries to "FF" and hit 'enter' (i.e. put the toggle to 'E')
the led's don't change at all. The manual says they should flash and
change as a I enter diag mode. I wanted to use diag more to force a
spin up but no joy.

Does the unit have to be connected to a controller to go into diag mode?
I have an RB730 which this connects to. Connecting is does not seem to
really change it's behavior.

-brad