AUI cables in UK?

From: Antonio Carlini <arcarlini_at_iee.org>
Date: Tue Mar 9 11:22:10 2004

> That would have to be a repeater, since you cannot install
> side stubs on an Ethernet coax. That's why thin Ethernet had
> the BNC T right on the device.

I expect Fred meant vampire tap on the thickwire, AUI down to
the "device" (presumably a DEMPR or DESPR) and then thinwire
from that.

> Some installations used wires
> that look like a single piece of coax but in fact is a double
> coax, running from the wall outlet box to the back of the computer.

I have some of those in the attic (sitting in a box, not wired up!!)
but these days RJ45 and wireless is so much easier. One day, when
I get a proper computer room I'll have to make proper use of
thinwire.

I guess I could use thickwire too (given a big enough room) but I
only have one vampire tap with H4000, no cable and no tools
to do the actual attachment (although I do have one of those H4000
test devices). With one attachment I'm not sure I can really call it
a network :-)

Antonio

--
Antonio Carlini             arcarlini_at_iee.org