[x-post from port-vax] HSD05 formatting

From: Paul Thompson <thompson_at_new.rr.com>
Date: Thu Mar 11 21:11:37 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, meltie wrote:

> However, I don't know how to partition these disks under NetBSD - i've had
> a bit of a fiddle with disklabel but quite frankly I get a bit lost, and
> most of the time disklabel locks up on me anyway - I suspect this is
> because it cannot know the true geometry of the disk it is talking to, but
> that's just a supposition...

What kind of disks are they in the HSD? There are disklabels around for a
variety of older DEC drives which can be applied to netbsd or you can
manufacture one yourself with the total block size and a couple of other
factors.

You can often disklabel a smaller label onto a larger disk. You will have
some unusable space but it will get the disk labelled.

What OS do you have doing the disklabel?