R80/RA81 diagnostic experience?

From: Jules Richardson <julesrichardsonuk_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 14 05:11:31 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:47, Paul Koning wrote:

> Jules> ...I'm totally confused by that - the sensor showed no signs of
> Jules> dirt. It hadn't worked in place in the drive, and nor did it
> Jules> work in isolation on the bench at first. Yet it showed signs
> Jules> of *some* life when originally in place within the drive, so
> Jules> there obviously wasn't a cable break.
>
> One guess would be a dirty connector. Unplugging and replugging can
> rub off oxide that may have accumulated over the years.

Absolutely - I'd already unplugged and plugged the connector back into
the read/write board a few times just to try and rule that one out
though. I suppose we'll just see how it goes from very cold at next
startup.

Nothing else in the world seems to use those sensors - yes, floppy
drives, tape drives and printers tend to have them, but always in a
vertical orientation whilst the ones on the RA81's are horizontal. I
suspect we can make up a bracket for a vertical type to somehow mount it
horizontally if needs be though...

cheers

Jules