OT: Justice, FBI Seek Rules for Internet Taps

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Mon Mar 15 08:23:53 2004

 Vintage> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Brad Parker wrote:
>> I believe phone switches have had this requirement for many, many
>> years (probably since the time of the (dis)honorable senator
>> Joseph McCarthy).

 Vintage> No they haven't. Sure, the feature exists in more
 Vintage> sophisticated phone systems, but it's never been there as a
 Vintage> government requirement for ease of wire-tapping.

Sure it has, CALEA has been the law of the land for some time now.
Not going back as far as the great unlamented Joe, though; back then
it wasn't that hard and no special laws were needed. Besides, there
was only one phone company and it was cooperative...

    paul