Opening a VAX2000

From: Michael Sokolov <msokolov_at_ivan.Harhan.ORG>
Date: Thu Mar 18 23:20:39 2004

Ethan Dicks <dickset_at_amanda.spole.gov> wrote:

> Cool. I never knew the specifics, just the consequences.

The VAXstation 2000 and MicroVAX 2000 Technical Manual (EK-VTTAA-TM, online
scan exists) is one of the most detailed technical manuals DEC has produced for
any VAX. A rare treat.

Too bad no similar manual exists for any of the 3100s, so I'm stuck with
blindly copying Ultrix code there.

> > MS (right in the process of coding MV/VS 2000 & 3100 support for Quasijarus)
>
> Neat. Hopefully memory won't be an issue. These things (as I'm sure you know
> well) don't take much, but neither does a uVAX-II (KA630).

I'm actually concentrating more on the 3100, for practical reasons (I have an
MV3100 M20 which I want to migrate from Ultrix to 4.3BSD-Quasijarus, but I
don't have any MV/VS2000).

> Well... it's plenty for the software of the day

Oh yeah, if it's enough for Ultrix it'll surely be enough for 4.3BSD-Quasijarus
since unlike DEC I'm not carrying any Missed'em-five crap. Just 100% pure BSD!

> (and plenty for ASCII-based consoles).

Yup, though I also plan to build an X terminal product based on a VS3100,
4.3BSD-Quasijarus kernel, and X11R4 (last version before POSIX invasion).
Basically like VT1300, but based on 100% open source software instead of the
closed-source firmware image you download into VT1300 and VXT. The end goal is
to eradicate all closed-source software.

MS