Electronic components sources

From: Paul Koning <pkoning_at_equallogic.com>
Date: Mon Mar 22 13:20:35 2004

>>>>> "der" == der Mouse <mouse_at_rodents.montreal.qc.ca> writes:

>> In the US, just one SPST should suffice, if it's in the live wire.
 der> ...and you use a three-wire grounded plug (which admittedly
 der> approximately all computer equipment does).

>> You need DPST switches in much of Europe because there you find
>> unpolarized outlets.

 der> And because in some parts of Europe you find balanced mains,
 der> rather than hot-and-neutral mains. (That is, the two power
 der> wires are each hot to ground, 180?? out of phase with respect to
 der> one another, very much like what in North America would be a
 der> 220V outlet.)

I don't think so. In Europe, plain old home service is 220 volts live
to neutral. If you have three phase, it's Y service, 220 volts phase
to neutral, 380 volts phase to phase. (UK is 240 and 415, otherwise
same story.)

Received on Mon Mar 22 2004 - 13:20:35 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:05 BST