Electronic components sources

From: Dwight K. Elvey <dwight.elvey_at_amd.com>
Date: Tue Mar 23 18:42:18 2004

>From: ard_at_p850ug1.demon.co.uk
---snip---

>No, the techincal term is 'electricians', at least over here ;-).
>Seriously, I've seen some terrible wiring done by so-called professional
>electricians, including a distribution panel on a workbench where
>alternate socket outlets had live/neutral swapped (!).
>
>-tony

Hi
 Actually the worst I've seen is painters. They remove covers
from switches and sockets. Often damaging wires. In two cases
that I've seen, they shorted a hot wire to ground so their fix
was to go to the circuit box and swap neutral and ground.
Nice surprise when I had to fix the water heater.
 I don't think UL has anything to say about both lines being
switched by a common switch. I think they only talk about
an independent switch on neutral as being a problem.
 UL is only interested in safety of the operator and not
the repairman. As long as it doesn't make the chassis hot
or start a fire, you can get UL on something that blows
up the electronics of a unit every time you turn it on.
Dwight