256k x 4 Re: finding old RAM

From: Joe R. <rigdonj_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Wed Mar 24 06:46:26 2004

At 01:56 AM 3/24/04 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

  Those are EASY to find. Just go to a surplus store and grab the old VGA
type video cards. A lot of them used those chips and they're frequently
socketed. You need to check the part numbers, the 4 x 256k chips are
available with a number of different part numbers but the PNs are usually
some variation of xxxx4256-xxx.

>Without memory on the card the SCSI controller can't do DMA transfers, so
>its running as fast as a BIG floppy drive.
>
>Anybody have a box of these in their parts bins?

    Yeap :-) I use them in my HP Viper cards. I picked up over 200 of the
ICs in video cards in one trip to a surplus store.

    Joe