UFO over DEC

From: Fred N. van Kempen <waltje_at_pdp11.nl>
Date: Fri Mar 26 11:25:43 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, John Allain wrote:

> > the first CD-ROM sold by DEC was RRD40 and was
> > actually a Philips drive, wasn't it?
>
> DEC _sold_ a Phillips CDROM drive as far back as 1985/6.
> I'm pretty sure that that first product preceeded even the RRD40.
Yes, that was a Philips CM105/110. I have two.

> My pocket guide to DEC history says this:
> "DEC sells storage business (incl. DLT) to Quantum."
They indeed sold the disks *and* tape (dlt) biz. Dunno if they
sold the disks to Quantum as well as they did the tapes.

Fred
--
Fred N. van Kempen, DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation) Collector/Archivist
Visit the VAXlab Project at                         http://VAXlab.pdp11.nl/