Problem with ESDI drive

From: Fred Cisin <cisin_at_xenosoft.com>
Date: Mon Mar 29 18:04:49 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Bradley Slavik wrote:
> Dear Classic Computing Community,
> I goofed when I was transferring data from a Compaq Deskpro 286 to my modern
> machine via 1.2MB 5.25" floppy. Machine was difficult to boot due to
> problems with config.sys and autoexec.bat. This time instead of booting from
> DOS 4.0.1 floppy, I boot from startup program floppy which helpfully offered
> to fix problems accessing hard drive.

WHICH version of MS-DOS was it?
Be aware that MS-DOS 3.31 was the first version that could handle a drive
partition larger than 32M!

> When I put card and drive in Pentium it will not boot. It counts memory and
> freezes. I have tried a number of ways to configure the dip switches and
> play with the setup program on this machine. Machine is a Packard Bell 401CD

Have you successfully convinced the Packard Bell to not use the IDE drive
port?
Play with it until you get it to accept that the IDE isn't working.
THEN install the drive and card.