Shipping a Teletype

From: Vintage Computer Festival <vcf_at_siconic.com>
Date: Wed Mar 31 02:50:54 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, David V. Corbin wrote:

> Any estimates on what would be a "reasonable" estimate for shipping a
> Teletype (with base, two cartons] Origination is Long Island, Destination is
> not known except it will be within the "lower 48" states.
>
> Also any recommendations on a carrier?
>
> Finally any "sepcial packing techniques [specifically any internal
> assemblies that need to be secured]?

I shipped an ASR-33 complete on a stand to Canada and back. It survived
the trip both ways but for the fall it took when it was being moved by van
back to the warehouse to be re-crated for the return trip home. It took
some damage to the top cover (the paper tape spool corner snapped off) but
they paid dearly for that.

At any rate, I built a custom pallet for it with some 2x4 and plywood
(basically a nice solid base). I then strapped the feet of the stand to
the base with those huge zip ties. I then wrapped bubble wrap around the
teletype itself and put soft foam blocks in strategic locations (keyboard,
back of unit) for extra padding. I then got a rather large and sturdy but
perfect-fitting cardboard box and fit it over the entire teletype (stand
and all) and stapled it to the base. It could now be wheeled around on a
dolly quite nicely.

I don't know who the shipper was; the loanee took care of that. But I
would recommend you first look into DHL freight services, or Fedex or UPS.
I suggest DHL because their rates are very competitive for freight service
and I'm starting to like them way more than Fedex for their overall
service and customer support.