AIX

From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed Mar 31 06:37:10 2004

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Jay West wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I've worked extensively on many differen't unices, and AIX is
> truely evil. Guess if it's the only unix you deal with so you don't keep
> having to switch mentality between AIX and everything else...

I'll second and third that. The linker, in particular, is a huge
pain-in-the-rear. It's almost axiomatic that if a bit of free software
builds and runs without modification on every other flavor of Unix/Linux,
it will require a week of hair-pulling to bring up on AIX.

Things _are_ improving, though. Since AIX 4.2.something, it's a bit less
painful to build shared libs and dynamically-loaded objects.