New finds: Some days you win, other days you WIN!

From: Kapteyn, Rob <>
Date: Wed Nov 3 15:57:29 2004

I have a Friden Flexowriter somewhere that I adapted for use with my Altair when I was a teenager.
Herbach&Rademan Surplus out of Philadelphia used to sell them.
They come with a huge box full of DTL electronics that provide some sort of telecomm interface.
We found instructions in one of the Hobbyist magazines (Byte?) on how to connect that box to the Altair serial port.
Later we found other instructions on how to eliminate the need for the box.
(It is huge -- I'd guess 12" x 24" x 36")


-----Original Message-----
[]On Behalf Of Joe R.
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 3:04 PM
Subject: New finds: Some days you win, other days you WIN!

   I got a call yesterday from one of my steady sources. He finally got in
the load of Intel Multibus manuals that I'd been waiting for. Went down
there this morning and spend about 4 hours digging thru a pallet load of
manuals. Found about 50 Multibus manuals. But only three different manuals.
Yeah. About 15 copies of each one! While I was there, they were sorting
out another load of OLD stuff that they'd just gotten. There was a lot of
'40s, 50s and '60s electronics in it as well as a lot of typrewriters,
checkwriters and mechanical adders. while I was there I went over and
looked in the scrap basket where they were tossing out stuff and in the
bottom I spotted something that said "Flexowriter". I really didn't want
to have to pull out all the junk that had been thrown in on top of it but
decided to find out more first. A quick call to Alex Knight (aren't cell
phones great?) and he confirmed that I SHOULD dig it out. So into the
basket I went. An hour later and I was the proud owner of not one but TWO
Frieden Flexowriters! Anyone have a manual or more information about these?

   Also found some OLD modules that are marked Digital Logic Modules.
They're made of black plastic and about 1 1/8 square and 1/4" thick and
have ten pins on the bottom. The pins aren't round but are blade shaped
like those used on Jones plugs. There's no name on them but they have a
symbol of a capital R with the electrical symbol for a resistor
superimposed on it. I think I remember seeing that symbol a long time ago
but I can't remember who used it. Does anyone remember it.

Received on Wed Nov 03 2004 - 15:57:29 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:15 BST