Why are transistors called "Q"?

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_30below.com>
Date: Fri Feb 25 22:24:45 2005

Rumor has it that James Fogg may have mentioned these words:

>Also, isn't the gain of a transistor called "Q"? Or some other

Offtopically, but not nearly so as in the past few "discussions"[1]:

Q is a measurement of Ham Radio antennae -- altho just perzactly what it's
supposed to measure I'm not 100% sure. (I'm sure I could google for it...)

I do know that I have a Heathkit "Q" measuring device in my basement...

Maybe there's something similar WRT transistors?

Altho the gizmo isn't a computer, at least it's +10 years old... ;-)


[1] I use that term very loosely... ;-)

Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
Hi! I am a .signature virus.  Copy me into your .signature to join in!
Received on Fri Feb 25 2005 - 22:24:45 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.0 : Fri Oct 10 2014 - 23:37:41 BST