cover cleaning

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_northernway.net>
Date: Fri Mar 14 13:52:34 1997

At 05:25 PM 3/14/97 +0100, you wrote:
>I have successfully cleaned a few computer covers (plastic)
>with hot water and ordinary washing detergent. Just leave the
>cover in for half an hour, and use the dishbrush gently.
>The results have been quite marvelous!
>
>The acetone trick is also good, but don't rub too much or the
>plastic WILL become soft!

This gets *some* markers that I've tried, and it's really good at getting
the goo off of cases without melting them: straight Naptha. You can buy it
at hardware stores.

However, it's *super* flammable, so if yer smokin' while you're cleanin',
you'll probably end up in smoke!

I've also used this to dissolve the spare residue from solder flux. It
works well, but again, don't get that soldering iron near it! (Especially
mine, it's butane fired!)

I've used this to de-goo 3 or 4 Tandy 200 laptop cases, and it's one of the
*very* few things that can safely dissolve wax. I learned this when I
learned about candlemaking.

However, it doesn't have much luck against smoke damage.

Hope this helps,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger
--
Roger Merchberger       | Everyone complained to me to change my .sig,
Programmer, NorthernWay | but no-one could recommend something better.