Laser500, Computer from Europe, FleaMarket

From: Lindsay Thachuk <visimp_at_junction.net>
Date: Wed Mar 19 10:04:28 1997

In message <01BC344E.4EE364B0_at_odie.do.isst.fhg.de> you wrote:

> > There are a lot of very common (in Europe) European machines I'd like to
> > get my hands on, perhaps someone should set up an intercontinental
> > computer trade route. :)

> Furthermore it could be interesting to make a list of common european
> computers that are possibly rare in the US. Here a first try - please
> make comments on the rarity of these computers in the US:

I have another few entries from across the Atlantic.

Made in the U.K. (sold briefly in the U.S.)

Classic Machines

Acorn BBC Model A
Acorn BBC Model B
Acorn Master 128
Acorn Compact

These were 8-bit 6502 machines with a ROM operating system, built in
BASIC and networking called Econet, and operated in 7 screen modes.
Unique was its ability to plug in a dual processor and they all had a
user port for interfacing to the outside world. They were very popular
in education and lots of educational software is still available.

For the record, they were replaced by 32-bit RISC machines. I own
eight of the Model B's here in Canada and use their latest 32-bit 200
Mhz StrongARM processor in my Acorn RISC PC.

Anyone seen any American models around??

--
Lindsay Thachuk
in Western Canada with the World's Best Computer