Of Minicomputers and Power

From: Carl R. Friend <carl.friend_at_stoneweb.com>
Date: Wed Mar 19 12:19:14 1997

   On Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:55:54 -0700, Jim Strickland spake thusly
unto us:

> [...] sounds like an interesting collection... but an expensive one
> to power up.

   All in all, the minis aren't that bad on power. The Novas only draw
a couple hundred watts and usually aren't powered on at the same time.
The pdp11/34a is a hog, though; the month I started working on that one
the power bill went to $75.

   I believe the largest amount of computer power running in the
house at once was the time when my wife had both PCs up and I had my
DECstation, VAXstation, and InterAct fired up at the same time. The
LAN took a beating that day.

> I assume you've read Soul of the New Machine about the Data General
> push to a 32 bit response to the VAX?

   What DG "head" hasn't?

   Cheers.

| mailto:carl.friend_at_stoneweb.com                |                     |
| http://www.ultranet.com/~engelbrt/carl/museum/ | ICBM: N42:21 W71:46 |