Dead Ataris

From: Isaac Davis <idavis_at_comland.com>
Date: Wed Mar 19 13:50:56 1997

At 10:58 AM 3/19/97 -0600, Ron Kneusel wrote:
>Now, the trouble is.. neither computer works. When powered up they both
>give a clear green screen and that is it. The carts and joysticks work
>just fine as my Atari 400 was able to tell us.
>
>I popped the top on the 800 and pushed on all the chips and still
>nothing. I'm a bit perplexed as to why both machines are acting the same
>way. They use different power supplies and the 800 power supply works
>with the 400.
>
>I'm new to Ataris, so it this a sign of something that commonly went
>wrong with these machines?
>
>All help appreciated!
>
>- Ron Kneusel
> rkneusel_at_post.its.mcw.edu

Ron,
        The only one that I might be of help is the 800. I pulled the OS
board out of my atari and got the green screen. I can only deduce from this
that maybe with both machines, there is something wrong with the OS board,
but there might be more to it than that. I have had my 800 since 1983, and
have not had any real problems with it. Knock on wood. I know I shouldn't
say things like that, but oh well, I said it anyway. Hope this helps.
There is a guy here in Austin that would have a spare OS board for the 800,
if you want his name and email, let me know and I will pull it out for you.
Isaac Davis
idavis_at_comland.com
indavis_at_juno.com