Let people know about collectors

From: James Willing <jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 11:11:14 1997

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Jeffrey G. Rottman wrote:

> Just read the question about how many old "Classic" computers are dumped
> into landfills...It is a shame that things like this happen.

All to true...

> Maybe if someone were to let the mainstream media know that there are
> collectors out there who want to preserve the old machines.... If the
> story were to be on CBS TV news, or in Newsweek, CNN or something,
> maybe a few more machines would be spared the fate of ending up trashed.

A good idea, but needs to be approached with some care. Remember, the
mass media will only be interested in a story that will gain them
ratings/$$$, so IF you manage to get them interested in most cases they
will put their own spin on it toward that goal.

(yes, I've had far too many dealings with the media in my various
ventures)

Popularity is NOT always a good thing! Case in point:

I was reciently in the process of finalizing a deal to obtain some
equipment that was, in the words of the person I was in communication with
"inches away from the dumpster".

This batch of gear included some microcomputers, including a 'Mark-8' and
some IMSAIs. We were just making the arrangements for shipping when
someone on their side came across an article in the New York Times on
collecting and the value of older computers.

In the text of the article is allegedly said (I have not seen the article)
that early microcomputers were fetching sums of upwards of $25,000(US).

Needless to say, the deal immediately collapsed and the person who was
offering the gear is now either (1) still sitting on the stuff waiting for
the money to roll in, -or- (2) happily spending the money of some one who
actually believed the article!

I guess my base fear here is that if we actually managed to get the
media's attention, a few major stories like this might drive the equipment
costs to high (note I said COSTS, not VALUE) that only deep pocketed
people with no real interest in the equipment other than its percieved
'value' would be able to afford to obtain it!

> Does anyone have connections to the National/World media about this??

Be afraid... Be VERY afraid!

Me, I'm doing new board layouts and am planning to reconstruct a 'Mark-8'
or two... Anyone else interested in a board set?

-jim
---
jimw_at_agora.rdrop.com
The Computer Garage - http://www.rdrop.com/~jimw