Let people know about collectors

From: William Donzelli <william_at_ans.net>
Date: Thu Mar 20 12:14:12 1997

> > Just read the question about how many old "Classic" computers are dumped
> > into landfills...It is a shame that things like this happen.
>
> All to true...

Actually, most of them get sent overseas to get chopped up and recycled -
pretty much the same fate in our eyes.

> > Maybe if someone were to let the mainstream media know that there are
> > collectors out there who want to preserve the old machines.... If the
> > story were to be on CBS TV news, or in Newsweek, CNN or something,
> > maybe a few more machines would be spared the fate of ending up trashed.
>
> A good idea, but needs to be approached with some care.

Yes, I agree with all of the points made previously. I would like to add
that advertising to the general public can leave you with mounds of
requests/donations that need to be answered, and more people banging at
your door.

Most people can not tell a good classic computer (rarities, real oldies,
etc.) from the common lot. To them, they are old computers that have been
hidden in closets for ten years, and now may be worth money (cost
escalation _will_ occur, as it has for every other kind of antique).
When they come to you with a treasure, chances are that you will have five
identical types already at home, and you will have to refuse the deal.
This may be OK for the first few people, but it gets very tedious after
the 20th person that asks you if you want to buy their Apple ][e. You get
irritated from it (unless you have infinite patience), and they get
disappointed that what they have is not a gem. Nobody walks away happy. The
question you must ask yourself is "Do I want to expose myself to this, just
so I can get that one prize in one hundred?".

I have tried advertising in both niche publications and to
the masses at the hamfests. Both ways have worked for me in my radio
collecting hobby fairly well - I have made some deals for real gems. For
the computer collecting side, however, advertising (generally with a
carried sign) at the hamfests has been fruitless. My sign stated
explicitly that I was looking for old minicomputers (DEC, DG, etc.) and
old Sun equipment, yet I was still offered tons of Apple ][es.

I just placed some feelers out on the net. I wonder how they will work.

My opinion: keep the hunting rather low-key. The classic computers are
still out there to be found; it just takes legwork. Going public can, and
probably will, backfire.

William Donzelli
william_at_ans.net