Zenith Z386-20

From: Christopher Heer <CHEER_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 15:57:17 1997

Captain Napalm sez:

> At an auction this past Saturday, I picked up a Zenith Z386-20 (okay, it
>might, just might, be 10 years old). It looks to be a decent system, and
>today is the first day I've been able to play around with it, as I had to
>scrape up some 72-pin SIMMS for memory.

Wow. 72 pin? Are you certain? In any case, ISTR older Zeniths taking proprietary
memory.

> Upon turning the unit on, I get (if I recall - it doesn't stay very long
>on the screen):

> Bad CMOS configuration blah blah yada yada

> Then the screen goes blank and the system just sits there, fans spinning.

How long? I mean, how long have you let it wait? If it's mis-configured on the
hard disk, it could take simply ages to time out.

> I have some questions about the unit I figure I'd through out here before
>going to alt.folklore.computers.

> 1. It doesn't seem to even look at the keyboard. Do Zeniths use
> a proprietary keyboard, or is the POST routine not getting past
> the bad CMOS?

Zeniths were, ISTR, slightly touchy about keyboards, but they didn't have to be
proprietary. Odds are something else is hanging it.

> 2. The computer itself has a daughter board that contains the
> ROMs, a SmartBattery (DALLAS - DS1260-100 / 9816 / 3V
> Lithium battery), an Intel 8742 (Universal Peripheral Interface
> 8-bit Slave uController) and other neat features (the 8 LEDs
> are a nice touch). The Smart battery can be removed, but I'm
> wondering if it's a common item and is easily replaced.

Depends on how you define "common" and "easily," but yeah, you should be able to
find it and replace it. They last a long time, though; I'd resolve the config
issue before replacing it.
--
 Christopher D. Heer			ORACLE Corporation
 Network Engineer III			203 N. La Salle Avenue #2000