Zenith Z386-20

From: Roger Merchberger <zmerch_at_northernway.net>
Date: Thu Mar 20 13:53:25 1997

At 01:57 PM 3/20/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Captain Napalm sez:
>> At an auction this past Saturday, I picked up a Zenith Z386-20 (okay, it
>>might, just might, be 10 years old). It looks to be a decent system, and
>>today is the first day I've been able to play around with it, as I had to
>>scrape up some 72-pin SIMMS for memory.
>Wow. 72 pin? Are you certain? In any case, ISTR older Zeniths taking
proprietary
>memory.

Well, I dunno about the rest of the world, but my geezer '286 Zenith took
standard 30-pin parity memory. I did try non-parity memory... the monitor
(over and over) just kept spitting up "Parity Error..."

I have 3Megs in 'er now, looking to go to 6 (someday)...

>> 1. It doesn't seem to even look at the keyboard. Do Zeniths use
>> a proprietary keyboard, or is the POST routine not getting past
>> the bad CMOS?
>
>Zeniths were, ISTR, slightly touchy about keyboards, but they didn't have
to be
>proprietary. Odds are something else is hanging it.

I got what I thought was a bad keyboard with my Z... so I put el-cheapo on
it and it works fine... Then when I tore apart my Z keyboard I found a
little switch called "XT - AT".. If you have a switchable keyboard (on my Z
there's a small removeable panel in the upper left corner [i believe...
keyboard home, me work]) double-check it's on AT.

Hope this helps!
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger Merchberger       | Everyone complained to me to change my .sig,
Programmer, NorthernWay | but no-one could recommend something better.