Laser500

From: Stefan Walgenbach <walgen_at_do.isst.fhg.de>
Date: Fri Mar 21 02:09:13 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Doug Spence [SMTP:ds_spenc_at_alcor.concordia.ca]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 1997 8:34 AM
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: Re: Laser500

>> are you sure the VZ200 is from Video Technologies? I have one new in box
>> with 16kB RAM but there is no reference to Video Technologies on the case.

> Well, my source for this info was the March, 1983 issue of COMPUTE!
> magazine, in the article entitled "New Home Computers At The Winter
> Consumer Electronics Show":

> "....Three new computers reatiling for $99 were shown at the show,
> including the first one with color.
> The colour model is the VZ200, the first home computer from Video
> Technologies Ltd., a company with two factories in Hong Kong. Promised
> for delivery by April, the VZ200 comes with 4K of RAM, expandable to 16K
> ($45) or 64K (price not yet determined)...."

That sounds correct - HongKong is mentioned on the box. Maybe Video Technologies
was a unkown name at this time. I have the 16k-Ram Expansion card you mention
so it looks like that this announce was not completely vapourous ...

>> I have four LASER 500 with LASER Tapes. Anyone heard of these?
>
> Well, obviously I haven't. :) Is the Laser 500 an Apple-compatible
> machine, or is it something entirely different?

I will check this but I this it has a Z80 ...

>>I'd like instructions on
>how to use the SOUND, NOISE, SOUND DEF, and SOUND TEMPO extended BASIC
>commands if you have such information. Also PAINT, as I haven't yet
>figured out the syntax for that one, either.

sorry I don't have a single line of doc for my machines.

> LASER Tapes? Did the Laser use something other than standard audio
> cassettes?

No I don't think so - but they have made a special cassett-player.

Does anyone know how to load a file from a tape with a LASER?

Doug Spence
ds_spenc_at_alcor.concordia.ca