how many old comps are dumped?

From: Doug Spence <ds_spenc_at_alcor.concordia.ca>
Date: Fri Mar 21 02:17:22 1997

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Douglas Zander wrote:

> Hello,
> I was just wondering how many old computers do you think get dumped in
> the landfill each year? Do people realize that there are collectors out
> there for these old computers?

I suspect that an awful lot do get dumped. The reason I suspect this is
that even a store I went to that dealt in old 8-bit hardware was dumping
the more interesting systems and only keeping stuff that was somewhat
profitable for them (Apple ][, C64, Atari ST, Amiga).

I only went to the store once (*hated* the prices and the staff) but
while there I was told that a complete, functioning CBM 8032 system with
8250 drive unit had been tossed into the dumpster behind the store,
because someone had brought it in and the store staff didn't think they'd
be able to sell it. I should probably have made a point of making
regular visits after that, to ensure that such atrocities did not get
repeated, but the store was well out of my way and I didn't have the
time. <s>

I did get a CardBoard for the VIC-20, though, that was on its way to the
trash that day, with a Quick Brown Fox cart still plugged into it.

> Also, how many of you remember the old "pong" game that had the paddles
> built into the unit? My family had one of those, I'd like to know where
> it is now! :-)

Sorry, I don't have it! ;)

> --
> Douglas Zander | many things interest me, too many to list
> dzander_at_solaria.sol.net | here. if you want a profile :-) why not
> Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA | send me a letter? tell me about yourself,
> "Over-looking Lake Michigan." | I'll tell you about myself.

Doug Spence
ds_spenc_at_alcor.concordia.ca