Intel MDS (Microcomputer Development System)

From: A.R. Duell <ard12_at_eng.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun Mar 23 10:57:45 1997

> Hello all,
>
> Just wanted to ask if anyone out there has an Intel MDS (Microcomputer
> Development System). That was the 8080-based system that Intel sold for
> developers to develop hardware and software based on their
> microcomptuers. It ran an operating system called ISIS-II from Intel.

Yes, I have one, and most of the manuals. The only manual I am missing (I
think) is the hardware reference for the ICE-80 in-circuit emulator for
the 8080 processor. I have the hardware (2 multibus cards + probe) for
that option.

My system contains (I think) :

8080 CPU
4 off 16K RAM cards
Bootstrap/monitor/bus controller
I/O (for tty, paper tape, prom programmer, etc)
ICE-80
Double-density floppy controller + 2 drives
UPP (Universal Prom Programmer) controlled by a 4040.

> Anyway, anyone who would like to discuss these systems, I'm game. I
> have an Intellec 800 and a Series II (the successor).

Mine's the MDS800. I also have the MCS8i, which was also 8080 based, used
a custom bus, and had a full front panel. That one has 8K of RAM, (2 4K
cards), 2K ROM (in 1702s), 8080 CPU, I/O card, and 1702 programmer.

> I would be interested in anyone who might have for sale a set of floppy
> diskette controller boards for these systems. It is a two-board set and
> I need the double density version.

I have the double density disk controller + all the manuals, but obviously
I want to keep it.

--
-tony
ard12_at_eng.cam.ac.uk