Intel MDS (Microcomputer Development System)

From: Dave Mabry <dmabry_at_mich.com>
Date: Sun Mar 23 16:05:58 1997

A.R. Duell wrote:

> > Hello all,
> >
> > Just wanted to ask if anyone out there has an Intel MDS (Microcomputer
> > Development System). That was the 8080-based system that Intel sold for
> > developers to develop hardware and software based on their
> > microcomptuers. It ran an operating system called ISIS-II from Intel.
>
> Yes, I have one, and most of the manuals. The only manual I am missing (I
> think) is the hardware reference for the ICE-80 in-circuit emulator for
> the 8080 processor. I have the hardware (2 multibus cards + probe) for
> that option.

I have the ICE-80 as well, and used it many times (in the way past!).
Intel was the first company to have in-circuit emulators (I believe) and
that was the first one. It was a marvelous tool for system
development. Seemed like magic at the time.

> My system contains (I think) :
>
> 8080 CPU
> 4 off 16K RAM cards

Fairly typical system (they came with 16k but you really needed 64k to
do anything with language compilers under ISIS-II).

> Bootstrap/monitor/bus controller
> I/O (for tty, paper tape, prom programmer, etc)
> ICE-80
> Double-density floppy controller + 2 drives
> UPP (Universal Prom Programmer) controlled by a 4040.

Now the UPP is a unique device. It has personality boards for many
different type of memories. There aren't too many eprom programmers out
than can do 1702s, but it is one.

> > Anyway, anyone who would like to discuss these systems, I'm game. I
> > have an Intellec 800 and a Series II (the successor).
>
> Mine's the MDS800. I also have the MCS8i, which was also 8080 based, used
> a custom bus, and had a full front panel. That one has 8K of RAM, (2 4K
> cards), 2K ROM (in 1702s), 8080 CPU, I/O card, and 1702 programmer.

I think the MCS8i was originally the Intellec 8. It was 8008 based, but
there was an upgrade that made it an 8080 cpu. As old as I am, that one
predates my experience. The Intellec 800 was my first development
system.

> > I would be interested in anyone who might have for sale a set of floppy
> > diskette controller boards for these systems. It is a two-board set and
> > I need the double density version.
>
> I have the double density disk controller + all the manuals, but obviously
> I want to keep it.

I suspect that most of them are going to be in the same situation. I'll
keep looking. Take care.

--
Dave Mabry     dmabry_at_mich.com
Great Lakes Maritime Institute Underwater Research Team