Insurance of your collection...

From: James Campbell Andrew <jim_at_october.u-net.com>
Date: Sat Mar 29 00:37:48 1997

> Ok, what do people do about insurance of their computer collections. I
> guess mine is covered on the plain old house contents insurance, but
> the more I think about it the more I worry about a potential claim for
> over 60 old (and I guess in the minds of insurers, obsolete) computers.
>
> I guess insurers will want a current market value, but what is current
> market value for old computers? As far as I am concerned there isn't
> a market value and each computer is only worth as much as the person
> selling it wants for it, or what the purchaser is willing to pay.
Correct. Although some systems (Vectrex spring to mind) are starting to
increase in price. In MicroMart you often see them advertised for 300UKP
or so. Whether they actually *sell* for that is anyones guess!

I averaged out the value of my old systems at roughly 50 UKP each so the
total came to about 2,000UKP. I just bumped my insurance up by that
amount. Many household insurances actually come with a 'collections'
clause so it's best to have a gander at it and see if you are already
covered.
--
<jim_at_october.u-net.com>        | The application "Jim" has suffered
http://www.october.u-net.com   |     a Total Enthusiasm Failure